Saturday, November 10, 2012

Schedule for Week of 12 November

The Story of X (A Fabulous Child's Story-see link below) response due Tuesday-recall my instructions-"So, what?" or if that puzzles you think reflection/reaction NOT a rhetorical analysis! (Approx. 1 1/2 pages)

Please be informed that I received a memo on Friday afternoon (11/9) that the College Now representatives would visit our classes on Tuesday (11/13). You will still take the SAT Vocabulary Quiz (List 7-seven words/List 6-three words)
Please complete your reading of The Great Gatsby by Thursday, 11/15.
ATTENTION G-Band Students: Your textbook is not required on Tuesday, 11/13.
NOTE: I was extremely pleased with the discussions that took place for Professions for Women: we will continue to discuss Woolf's speech later in the week. I realize that for all of us sitting in a classroom-academically engaged- with so much disruption in our lives is not an easy task. Please remember what I said about homework assignments-just speak to me privately or send an email.
My compilation of the sources for your "Mini-argumentative Research Paper" has been completed. (Approximately 50% "borrowed" from a college Sociology 101 class-the rest I located and reviewed on my own.) You will discover that the list of resources is quite extensive. All the links to your sources are "active"-I verified by clicking on the link for each source.
Several of the sources are intended as a background on Gender and Socialization-amazingly, they are all an "interesting" read. You will have to locate these on your own-just "scroll" until you locate the sources that will yield this information.
Your focus: Defining Femininity-We will discuss how to "narrow" this broad topic this week. You will use the "essential question" that begins this chapter as a guide: What is the impact of the gender roles that society creates and enforces? I will inform you of the specific requirements (number of pages and number of sources) by Thursday, 11/15.
Gender Roles: Defining Femininity Resources
(click on link) Have fun!