Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quality of Homework Assignments

Fortunately, for many, I had indicated that I would use the Check +, Check, Check- System
(see handout) to grade the assignment for Letter from Birmingham Jail-page 275-question #2. It soon became obvious to me that too many students probably spent only 5-10 minutes composing a response! Furthermore, several students in each class had excuses for why they did not come to class with the assignment. Recall my policy, "An assignment is due immediately upon entering the classroom." I actually had students hand it to me-handwritten throughout the day! In fact, one student asked to go to the restroom-approximately 15 minutes later he/she returned with the typed assignment in his/her hand. Did this student go to the library to download/print his/her assignment? Do not ask to use the printer in the classroom on the day the assignment is due. From now on, I will refuse to accept your assignment late (see handout regarding my homework policy). WOW! Venting makes me feel so good!