Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Note About:

PLAGIARISM! If you recall, I posted the consequences regarding what would take place if I detected this in my classes-from my students! Prior to revealing why I am outraged and disappointed, permit me to inform you about my grading "ritual." I do my best to grade as many papers as possible during the school day. I start with a class folder, but since this is done between classes, I must stop until I am free to continue with that class folder-which unfortunately-might be hours later-or even the next day. Needless to say, I do most of my grading at home where I do not have to stop to get to my next class. When this happens, I am able to open -up a class folder and not stop until I have finished reading every paper-every word of what was written. Have you made an inference, yet? Recently, two students committed this serious infraction-not only on one assignment-but on two-by copying from one another-for the most part-not even attempting to disguise what they did. I am sure you are asking, "On what assignment, Diedrich?" The two assignments: Tan rhetorical analysis and the Eisenhower/Catiline Speech Rhetorical Analysis. How do you think I reacted when I discovered this act of PLAGIARISM-not once-but twice- by the same two students?

On Monday, 28 February, I will take action against those two individuals.